Spotlight On: Flahavan's Oatsotto Recipe
Winter Storm Jonas hit us hard this past weekend leaving us with major cravings for warm, comfort food and a good movie lineup on Netflix. Thanks to Flahavan's Oats, we were able to whip up a creamy, hearty dinner in no time with the Oatsotto recipe featured below.
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 butternut squash – peeled and diced, discard the seeds
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 oz butter
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- 10 oz Flahavan’s Steel Cut oatmeal
- 4 oz white wine
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 5 cups hot chicken stock
- 2 oz grated or crumbled Parmesan cheese
- Arugula leaves to serve
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F.
- Place butternut squash in a roasting dish, drizzle with oil, season well and roast for 10 - 15 min until soft.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and sauté the garlic and onions on a gentle heat until soft.
- Add the steel cut oats and fry for 5 minutes, stirring well.
- Add the white wine and allow the oatmeal to absorb the liquid.
- Add the diced chicken with 2 cups of the hot stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the hot stock approx. 1 cup at a time, allowing the liquid to be absorbed. This can take 15 minutes.
- Cook gently, stirring all the time until sauce has thickened and the steel cut oatmeal has softened.
- Stir in the Parmesan and roasted butternut squash and season to taste.
- Stir in the arugula before serving.
Try using Flahavan’s Steel Cut Oatmeal instead of rice in your own favorite risotto recipe